Sunday, September 16, 2007

Rubber Game

Well, this is not the best pitching matchup of the series, but it may have the best story: Clemens, arguably the greatest pitcher in baseball history, the prodigal son of the Red Sox trying to secure his legacy as a Yankee in probably his last season; and Schilling, adoped favorite, owner of the most famous red sock in history and self-proclaimed Yankee killer. The last time these guys met, it was a doozy.

Here's hoping this isn't the last time this year these teams play each other.

3 comments:

Jack Klompus said...

You've deftly avoided making a prediction, for good reason. While Clemens is coming off elbow damage, Schilling has pitched very well of late. Of course, anything can and probably will happen.

An interesting quote from Schilling's blog, on why his recent postgame self-assessment is sparse:

"I am changing just about everything I do, mentally and physically, to prepare and perform. A lot of it is new to me and a lot of it is and will be things that I am not comfortable putting out there. If I can figure out a way to make that happen then I will definitely do them again, as I have my post game stuff I keep still with me."

Blackadder said...

I think it's pretty close; tradesports has it at 51/49 in favor of the Red Sox, which seems right to me. You really have to hand it to Clemens; he is probably causing himself untold long term damage to his elbow which would be painful for the rest of his life, but rushed back to pich in fenway anyway.

Also, today YES broadcast game 7 of the 2003 ALCS. I still get goosebumps.

Blackadder said...

Well, I said I thought it was close...