Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Hold On, Twins!

Before you, Twins, sign on the dotted line--trading probably the best pitcher in baseball for an outfielder and three pitching prospects, the centerpiece being 18 years old, an age at which he might become a quite fine ballplayer or might instead run off with his girlfriend of three months to live out the rest of his days amongst the Bushmen of the Kalahari--please consider my offer.

For Johan Santana, I will deliver a you "grab bag" of eight young, male Cuban refugees. There's a decent chance a few of them could go on to play ball.

I'm not sure how I'll get them in the country. And I don't yet have a baseball team. For Johan Santana, I can figure out the details. As long as you're giving away Santana for youths brimming with verve--though perhaps not facial hair--you've got to like my offer over the Mets' mere four-prospect deal. For every Met, you would get two fresh Cubans. If you drive a hard bargain, I'll make sure they really look like ballplayers.

2 comments:

Blackadder said...

To be fair, Gomez (the outfielder) is actually 22 and has already played in the majors, albeit poorly. The one pitcher with any upside is 18.

I would not trade Phil Hughes straight up for that package. The only explanation that makes sense to me is that the Yankees and Sox both lost interest in the end, since they both could have easily topped that package. My guess, and it is a complete guess, is that the Yankees balked at the cost of extending Santana and the Sox interest waned when the Yankees were out. But really, who the fuck knows.

Jack Klompus said...

Post is corrected. If your scenario is right, the irony would be that the red-herring Santana offers would have been plenty worthwhile for the Sox or the Yankees, to my mind. Which would illustrate my general belief that trades are far too rare than they should be for the purpose of improving teams because GMs don't want to risk making bad trades.

Personally, I suspect the Sox offer was sincere and the Yankees offer partly sincere. My offer, however, is clearly and completely sincere.